- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Doing Business with the City
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- Constitutional Offices
- Property Information
- Public Safety
Office of the City Manager
|General City Inquires – Phone: 757-382-CITY (2489)
|Phone: 757-382-6166||Fax: 757-382-6507||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Address: 306 Cedar Road – Sixth Floor, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
Council-Manager Form of Government
Originating in 1908 in Staunton, Virginia, the Council-Manager plan has become the most widely accepted system of local government in the United States. The City of Chesapeake has operated under the Council-Manager plan since its inception in 1963.
In the Council-Manager plan, the governing body is composed of community-minded citizens serving on a part-time basis to decide major policy issues.
The Mayor's role is to preside over council meetings, much like a Chairman of the Board.
The City Manager is comparable to the corporation's CEO. He serves at the pleasure of the Board of Directors. The City Manager is a professionally trained public administrator charged with implementing the policies and directives of City Council. The City Manager refrains from participating is partisan political activities which would impair professional administration.
City Council delegates broad administrative power to the City Manager subject to its continuing review. Qualifications, powers and duties of the City Manager are provided for in the City Charter. Delegated duties include:
- Perform as Charter and Council require
- Supervise administrative affairs
- Develop and submit operating and capital budgets
- Appoint and remove officers and employees in administrative service
- See to the enforcement of City ordinances and state laws
- Make policy recommendations to Council
- Keep council advised on financial conditions and future needs
- Prepare and submit requested reports.
City Manager's Staff and Areas of Responsibility
Christopher M. Price, City Manager
Wanda Barnard-Bailey, Ph.D., Deputy City Manager
- Chief Equity Officer
- LGBTQ Liaison
- Chesapeake Integrated Behavioral Healthcare
- Chesapeake Public Libraries
- Customer Contact Center
- Human Resources
- Human Services
Robert N. Geis, Deputy City Manager
Laura A. Fitzpatrick, Deputy City Manager
Brian S. Solis, Deputy City Manager
David C. Westcott, Jr., Legislative Liaison